Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thursday – December 11th – Auckland

After nearly six months, the day had come that Jojo was to join me. A new adventure would unfold. Let me get you up to speed. At this stage for any of my budding followers, especially the ones that continue to check back in hope that I'll catch up on the blog, you will notice there are times when I just don't get the time to write this. So her is a summary. Sam and summaries, well, I'll do my best otherwise, go ahead and read tomorrows.

After spending a week in Perth I was feeling the itch. Hitched a lift up the east coast with two germans. Maria and Seb. They advertised a week long excursion as far as Shark Bay. This seemed ideal so I jumped at the chance. Gave the mobile number a ring and the next day we met and at twelve I met the other passenger, Eoin, that had requested to join them as well. We spent the remainder of the day dillydallying around a shopping mall getting supplies. Eoin, a northern Ireland lad was great craic and I knew instantly we'd get on great. As for the germans. Anyhow, we arrived at our first stop, the Pinnacles on the first night. It was kind of cool to drive around at night in the pitch dark with these fingers of rock sticking out of the ground all around us. We camped in the nearby town of Cervantes. I cooked up a chicken stir fry and myself and Eoin slept in the tent with the germans sleeping in the back of the Ford Falcon station wagon.

The next day we saw the Pinnacles during daylight. Far better. Got to see a flock of wonderful Parakees also. We got on the road and headed north, aiming to get to Kalabari National Park by sunset. The roads heading north in Western Australia are as boring as hell. Do not drive them when you are tired. We didn't make it for sunset to the park so we watched the sunset on the pier side. Even though this was late in Australias spring it was bloody freezing. The sky was magnificent. Looked like Michelangelo had taken his paint brush out for our entertainment. We cooked another delicious campsite meal, under a full moon and we headed to bed. We aimed to arise to get to Kalbarri at sunrise. It wasn't to be. We drove the yellow sandy road to Kalbarri to see Nature's Window.. The valley of goerges is a fantastic sight of terracota coloured red rock. We spent a couple of hours here and headed north again. We arrived in Shark Bay early in the evening. On route we stopped on Shell Beach. Bit meh although quite astounding to realise that there is no sand here, just tiny shells. We watched the sunset at the small lagoon. Wow. We set up camp in Monkey Mia.

Over the next four days we got to see Dolphins swimming at night time, being fed duing the day, we saw Eagle's bluff, bought snorkel gear, took a ride on a katamaran and saw loads of marine life. We got to meet loads of unusual characters both working and visiting Monkey Mia. The germans decided to leave although told us at the last moment, the night before they were heading off. It was probably the best thing that could have happened. We ended up meeting the fantastic Stuart, Ruth and Phini. These three we took on another adventure. In desperation to hitch a lift north, we convinced Stuart, a guy who had come from the north to brings us back north. Mark a skipper onboard the Shotover told us of a magical coral spot that very few people knew of. So, with this gem of information we pulled this unusual crew of five together for a short trip up north. A round trip of nearly 800 km it was worth every metre. For my first time snorkeling and my first time seeing coral, it was like something out of a documentary.

We arrived at a horse-shoe shaped aquamarine paradise beach. With the most delicious soft fine sand that looked like we were the first humans to set foot on it. Beautiful shells and dried coral littered the sides. We walked around the corner and walked into the water ten metres as we had being told and there lay a world like none I'd seen before. It took me three goes before I was able to properly relax with the snorkel. My childhood fear of water overcame me on the first two goes and a small panic attack unsued. I took myself out, congratulated myself on doing so well and got back in. That third time was supreme. As soon as my breathing relaxed so beautifully I floated and allowed the current to carry me above this wonderful other world. Dozens of amazing fish looked up from their world below as this giant watched in awe above them. They swam in their schools and pepped their heads out from all different colours and shapes of coral. The only visualisation that can come near to explain this sight is similar to being in a scene from Finding Nemo. It was breath taking. After having a wonderful day with these four new friends we headed back. Stopping at Ngarloo sheep station along the way so Eoin could ask about Wwof'ing work. Got a postcard type photograph of a kangaroo with the sunset behind.. A perfect end to a perfect day. We camped overnight in the local town. Phini and Eoin decided they were going to head north together as soon as they got back to Monkey Mia.

The next morning, we were on the road early to get Ruth back to work on the Stopover. We stopped at Monkey Mia for a couple of hours. Swapped photos. Said our goodbyes and I hitched a lift back to Perth with Stuart. Before rejoining the main highway we stopped off to see the %””£”%”. It really puts humans in their place to see something like this. We can be very arrogant people. These formations have being alive for 3.5 billion years. They helped produce the first oxygen on the planet earth. They are not a particularly spectacular sight. Although, that isn't the point. They are beautiful, wouldn't you say. We got to Kalbarri by nightfall and camped in the same campsite as the one I had done previously. When I say camping I mean roughed it. I slept in the front seat and Stuart in the back. We arose before sunrise and made it to Nature's Windows just as the sun was rising. The sunrise was the lesser impressive thing. What moved me and affected me was the stillness. You've heard the expression. Deafened by the silence. It was so bizarre. I thought there was something wrong with my ears. Stuart sat over looking this magnificent gorge at the side of Nature's Window and I stood 10 metres from him. It was one of the loudest and fullest sounds I have ever heard. It filled everything and everywhere. It had an enormous presence. I made some small swallowing sounds in my mouth to make sure there wasn't something wrong with my ears. It was fantastic. Whether it was the sound of the place or the presence of space, I don't know and I don't care. Myself and Stuart were on the same wavelength and we sat here for the next five hours talking about life and the worlds we create around us. We left the necessary space for each other to open and share our own experiences. It is quite strange and wonderful when you can have these type of bonds with total strangers you randomly meet in your life. Perhaps not so random and more synchronicity. From that moment on and for the rest of the journey we aided each other in whatever way we could. Discussing our own situations in our lives, our fears and wild imaginings. Helping each other understand that we are not alone in this world and we all host the power that gives us the ability to change. We create our own prison and disable ourselves. We stopped at the Pinnacles that evening and spent an hour taking the required holiday snaps. Anxious to be back in Perth I asked Stuart did he mind if we got back to Perth that evening. We booked the hostels and got back in to the city by nine. We had a pint together and agreed to meet the next day.

Let me add something at this stage about fear. One major self realisation that has arisen again and again is irrational fears. My own fears. I always loved an expression from a piece I adore called Desiderata. Let me go and get it for you. One moment. “But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.” Never a truer word said. I think for quite some time I have felt pretty on top of the world. My life in Ireland had got to one of the best places it had ever been. A job I loved more than anything. A home that was safe and warm and wonderful. A group of friends and work colleagues that inspired me and made me feel real. A partner that made me feel balanced. What more can a man ask for! Taking this journey has being a lifes dream. One that I allowed to slip away for over ten years. I had so much confidence in myself, it never crossed my mind that perhaps leaving all this behind might scare me. Well it has. Many times during this wonderful experience I have felt homesick. I have felt alone. I have felt scared. On this most recent journey my mind created bizarre and crazy fears. Irrational ones that I haven't felt in years. I was well aware they were wild imaginings although they were real fears. I was able to quieten them with words of self comfort and reassurance. You hear so much people say you find yourself when travel on a journey like this. I'd say you meet yourself. You aren't able to blame your surrounding circumstances. What is going on at the moment is all you. You can't blame the traffic or the bills or the news or the weather or work. Its all you.

The following day allowed me to buy a new Asus Eee PC. The new 1000 series. The screen on my 900 decided to shatter again for some unknown reason. I met with Stuart and I picked him up a copy of Awareness by Anthony De Mello, to thank him for the lift. We watched a group of Brazilian dancers perform Capawira on the main shopping street. We agreed to meet later for dinner and I headed off to do some video editing on my new PC. Stuart arrived 6 hours later and had to wait another two before I was ready. We headed out to dinner and chatted some more about all the discoveries we had made in our days travelling together. It was quite something the amount of subjects and material we had covered since we had met. It is amazing when you realise how effective communication can be between two like minded individuals. We bid farewell. This would be the last proper time I would have to chat to Stuart before we went our separate ways. The next couple of days seemed to fly by. I bid a final farewell to Stuart as he headed off down south in a new rented car. I made friends with a new Swiss roommate and three of his German girl friends. It's strange, how after all this time, I still need to learn, to stop making assumptions about things. Anyhow, the three girls were absolutely amazing and I ended up helping them buy a new vehicle for the journey across Australia. It was a lot of fun and something I loved doing. We got on brilliantly and just like that I made four new friends. They christened their new Mitsubishi 300, Sam.

Next thing to happen was a problem appeared in Joao's application for his Australian Visa. This was all we needed to hear, after 5 and half months waiting and Jojo doing everything in his power to come join me. An obstacles appeared on the final lap. I ensured him everything would be okay and we'd wait till the next day to see what happened. The next few days were a nightmare. The Australian Embassy in the UK were dealing with Jojo's application. So here is a warning, for anyone that doesn't have the advantage of being a European citizen. Make sure you give at least three months if applying for a visa to visit Australia. Also, if you need a family member or a friend to assist you in your application make sure to state this at the time of your application. Jojo didn't do this and no one from the embassy was willing to talk to me. Legally they are not allowed, no matter how much you beg. It was a very stressful time for both of us. It was also very difficult to do anything while on the far side of the world. The best I could offer was advice and support. With a week to go before he was due to leave Ireland, things looked really bad. The case officer had declined his application based on his student visa being out of date in Ireland. She would not accept that he was legally allowed to return to Ireland as a tourist and wanted him to show a valid visa for Ireland. The problem arose that this was not possible as visas are only granted to Brazilian citizens when they arrive in the country. So it was a catch 22 situation.

Aidan arrived from China the day before I was to fly to Cairns. It was really fantastic to see him again and he seemed to have had such a good time travelling by himself for the past three weeks. We went out that night as a farewell night for me and a few others. Throughout the night I was in contact with everyone and anyone I knew in Dublin that might be able to give us advice or help with Jojo's application. We looked into the option of booking him into another year course of English in Ireland. Booking a flight home to Brazil from Thailand or Australia. We were desperate at this stage to find the solution. Jojo was

No comments: